This guy has been here for 40 years, and he’s not going anywhere!
• From New Orleans, a Jesuit High School graduate.
• Dr. Rusty is a two-time Golden Glove Boxer and still boxes for fun and fitness
to this day.
• Dr. Rusty was known for having a menagerie of animals as a kid, and eventually went to vet School at LSU, graduating in 1981.
• He opened Maher Animal Hospital in 1982, and used to live at the clinic when he first opened it! If a boarding dog was barking, he often let them sleep with him in his makeshift office!
• Dr. Rusty has always been an empathetic and compassionate person and vet. He never turns away a sick or injured animal, and is still known to take a sick pet home with him.
• Dr. Rusty inspired not only his daughter to go into veterinary medicine, but also his two nephews, Dr. David and Dr. Brendan Batt, of Batt Veterinary Services in New Orleans.
• He and his wife Diana have two children (Katie and Kyle, a charter fisherman), and two granddaughters, Leah and Annie. They have him wrapped around their tiny fingers.